Husband KonMari Part II: Importance of Vision

I have had many requests to repost some of the transformations from my husband's KonMari journey, especially his office komono project. Enjoy this 4 part series!

July 16, 2016, continued

The purge of the office komono project expands! Out with the carpet and old desks!


But first a minor detour. Part way through my husband's grand purge of old electronics and other office supplies from his home office he seemed to loose focus and the two of us were becoming cranky with each other. I asked him if he wanted any KonMari "coaching" and he refused in the most cranky of terms.

He approached me a few hours later and was open to talking. I asked him to sit down somewhere comfortable, to relax and breath, and to verbally share his KonMari vision for his office space with me again. I asked him to really imagine his finished space. What he shared with me were words like "clean," "open," "peaceful" and "zen."

The spark-and-purge festival continued with renewed energy and focus and not only did he discard the the electronics and supplies he no longer needed, used or wanted, but he was ready for even bigger changes.

He was now thinking and seeing with KonMari vision. Unprompted he stated, "I use a standing desk exclusively at my work and my office at home should be the same." He decided the the furniture in his office--two standard desks and chairs--literally no longer supported who he was as a person, his lifestyle or goals. So out they went!

Now the part that made me particularly happy. The old brown carpeting in his office! It is 30+ years old, crushed, ratty and stained. I once again suggested we rip out the carpet, something I have begged to do for 20 years. He was initially a bit puzzled and asked what was under the carpet since he was not interested in recarpeting. Although I had told him this fact every year for 20 years he finally "heard" me. 


Hardwood floors!!


Thank you old carpet for your many valiant years of service. Hello hardwood!


Old wooden desks deconstructed and ready to take to the landfill.

The challenge was always the purge portion of the office komono. With the space emptied and reduced, it now could be filled with things that supported his vision.

Want to see more? Next part in link below:

Comments

Popular Posts