Husband KonMari Part IV: Does it Stick?

I have had many requests to repost some of the transformations from my husband's KonMari journey, especially his office komono project. Enjoy this 4 part series!

July 30, 2016

Two questions that keep coming up about the KonMari method are "Does it stick?" and "How is life post-komono?"


It has been exactly two weeks since my husband has completed his office komono project which for new viewers was a complete and utter hoard.

Yes, it sticks.

I have not tidied a single thing in this room in two weeks. It is all husband. He uses his wallet station in his bookcase every day. Listen up! He LOVES his wallet station located in his bookcase. He loves the ease and order it brings to his life. And every morning he tidies his desk completely clear before leaving for work.

Husband told me a few days ago that he will never go back to his old way of living. If you ask him, he will say he feels peaceful and powerful. What I see is someone who is happy and free from the burden of the unprocessed past. Using Marie Kondo's words, he has put his affairs and past in order and what I see is a resulting freedom that is energizing, fun, and open-ended.

Yes, the office visually looks amazing. The visual overhaul and picture-perfect results gets the first big bow. But the magic is in how his office is newly a useable space for joy and creative work.

Husband uses his office every day--and sometimes I have to drag him out! He started listening to music again while in his office. If I can use a silly analogy, it is as if he has transformed his dark, depressing, dusty and dirty hovel of a man cave into a futuristic hi-tech super-cool treehouse in the sky.

I now am able use his office occasionally as well. The light is fantastic in his room and I now use it for some of my closeup photography. I had no idea this room had the best light.

The future of this room will include refinishing the floors and I want to install a more modern light fixture in his office (pending his approval of the fixture). The walls have now been freshly painted but we want to add baseboards that match the rest of our house which were already upgraded a few years ago. But these are just small cosmetic changes.

The final step will be for him choose (spark joy) what to hang on the walls from among his small collection of paintings and/or to hang his college diploma.

It sticks. Our house feels lighter and more vibrant. It feels like we gained a whole extra room in our house out of thin air.



Comments

Popular Posts